So I added 15 hookworms in the end of June.Â Symptoms had gotten pretty bad, and I was down to just a few eggs in my egg count.Â I had an MRendoscopy and that showed mild inflammation in the ilium, but bad inflammation in the sigmoid colon, with a fistula going from colon to ovary.Â Nice. I’ve never had a fistula before that I’ve known about, so despite the worms helping over the last 2.5 years, they didn’t prevent this.Â It’s obvious I need enough of them to keep efficacy going.
So I was hoping reinfection would make me right within a month, like last year, but by week 3, I started reacting negatively to the worms with low grade fever, increased diarrhea, and a lot of pain.Â I went two weeks like that, totally miserable, and decided to go on Prednisone to abate the flare and buy me time for the new worms to work.Â I started with 40 mg. and did that for 5 days, decreasing by 5 mg. every 5 days.Â It helped a lot, and didn’t really cause any side effects.
But now I’m 3 months past worm infection. Down to 2.5 mg. of prednisone, which I’ll stop in a few days. Â Egg counts matured at around 9 weeks, and they are kicking out a steady output, about 700 epg.Â I started feeling better a few weeks ago, but then got the flu, (10/15 Update: it was the flu + TSO 2500 ova) which set me back to bad bowel pain and diarrhea again.Â I pulled out of that, but still am having copious mucus, blood, and pain.Â My bowel movements are down to 2-3 times a day, some are solid, some not, but the pain and other symptoms leads me to believe the sigmoid and anus is still quite inflamed.
I decided to try TSO in addition to the hookworms, and have now drunk 3 doses, 2 weeks apart.Â I went 3 weeks before drinking this last dose, because the last one coincided with the flu, and I wasn’t sure what was causing what.Â But so far, no real luck or change, except that I am $5000 poorer.Â In fact, I am having a very negative reaction after each TSO dose now; 99.8 fever, total diarrhea, nausea.Â Â Guess it wasn’t such a good idea after all?Â Â If I were in long term remission, I wouldn’t care a dime, all of the money would be well spent.
I’m hoping this next month brings relief, since it is when both worms should be kicking in. Although now, I think I’ll drop the TSO and see if the new hookworms alone will be better. <Update: total flare caused by TSO it seems.Â Â Could it have been an allergic reaction?Â Bad gut flora?Â A commensal infection?Â I guess time will tell. >
Very disappointed and scared, though. It sucks to be going through this since March, and the expectation for the worms to act like last year is trying.
If I had been able to infect in March, when my inflammation was just starting to rise, I think I could have prevented a lot of suffering.Â Â I had little luck with my own incubation, so trying to infect myself, when my egg count was steadily dropping, didn’t work.Â And the whole illegal nature of self incubation made me give up on it eventually.
Sorry for the bad news.Â I wish the worms would kick in soon.Â I’m giving it another month, then I’ll have to go on medication, which I am really not wanting to do.Â But I’ll keep trying the worms in addition, since I really believe in them and they’ve brought me to a good place before.Â I still am at a good weight, have pretty good energy, and look good, so they’re helping with the rest of my body, if not my colon.Â And despite the ill colon health, I’ve managed to create an amazing community garden.
Good luck to all.Â I hope your worm infections are side effect free and last a long time…